My friend, do you dance?
Or at least do you like people dancing?
Why I am asking this question?
“Life is a dance. Mindfulness is witnessing that dance” Amit Ray
“Opportunity dances with those who are already on the dancing floor” H Jackson Brown
Lord Shiva is one of the towering deities of the Hindu Trinity, and He is hailed as the ‘destroyer’ meaning destroyer of intrinsic negative human traits and imperfections.
Lord Shiva in the form of the Cosmic Dancer is known by the name NATARAJA.
During this Blissful Dance, the universe is created, maintained and resolved. (5 Key acts of Lord Nataraja)
The symbolism of Nataraja Idol in the dancing pose is as follows. (you can zoom the image and see the details)
- Upper right hand- the Lord holds a small drum, symbolising the sound that originates the creation and perpetuates the Universe. ( Big bang of Cosmic creation)
- Upper left hand- It contains fire, which signifies destruction, the dissolution of form, out of which a new world arises.
- Below right hand – This second right hand(open palm) shows Abhaya Mudra (fearless), giving freedom from fear and bestowing protection from both evil and ignorance.
- Below left hand- The second left-hand points towards the raised foot which signifies the upliftment and salvation.
- The dwarf on which the Lord dances- The dwarf is the demon of ignorance, symbolising the Lord’s victory over ignorance which can never be eliminated but can be overcome.
Other element includes- Flame of fire representing Cosmic fire which represents Maya (Illusion) as experienced through the cyclical phenomenon of birth and death.
Ancient Indian thoughts vs Modern thoughts
“Modern physics has thus revealed that every subatomic particle not only performs an energy dance but also is an energy dance; a pulsating process of creation and destruction. The dance of Shiva is the dancing universe, the ceaseless flow of energy going through an infinite variety of patterns that melt into one another’’. For modern physicists, then Shiva’s dance is the dance of subatomic matter. As in Hindu mythology, it is a continual dance of creation and destruction involving the whole cosmos; the basis of all existence and all-natural phenomenon. Hundreds of years ago, Indian artists created visual images of dancing Shivas in a beautiful series of bronzes. In our times, physicists have used the most advanced technology to portray the patterns of the cosmic dance “ Fritjof Capra
Thank you for your visit.
Take care, my friend.
You can check my other similar posts HERE
Image by © PTP-2022 All Rights Reserved
This post is part of
✔John S’s CELLPIC SUNDAY photo challenge and
✔Marsha’s PPAC #40 photo challenge