‘Rat Race’ according to Wikipedia
A rat race is an endless, self-defeating, or pointless pursuit. The phrase equates humans to rats attempting to earn a reward such as cheese, to no avail. It may also refer to a competitive struggle to get ahead financially or routinely.
Did I Join the rat race?
Yes, my friend.
Not just me… all of you are already in the rat race.
I shall explain
You and I started to take part in the rat race right from the…
- School days-as per your parents you are supposed to compare with the performance of your classmates and are expected to be at the highest-ranking order. In the school sports schedules, you must get some medals without fail.
- college days– again you are busy comparing yourself with others with your studies along with your romantic dreams. You have to earn a degree with top honours so that you are successful in camp hiring.
- As an employee/consultant/employee– you have to reach the top position as you advance in your career. There is no family time or no time to be happy. Your rat race to the top position never ends because of your comparison mentality. Also competition is very tough.
- As you are ageing– Your liabilities further increase due to reasonable or unreasonable demands from your extended family members. ( more loans, mortgages and other liabilities). Consumerism draining you further. In spite of your age you may opt for so called mean jobs. False prestige adding to your agony.
- These days-Life is no more like BC (Before COVID) and you are expected to continue your rat race in AC (After Covid) to survive the hardships.
What if you continue the rat race?
“A person entrenched into the rat race is the proud owner of a time-consuming job which he desperately needs in order to be able to pay the mortgage, rent, bills, credit card debt and all kinds of liabilities” Ilias Tisagklis
By the time you realize, you have reached 75 years.
“Seventy-five years. That’s how much time you get if you’re lucky. Seventy-five years. Seventy-five winters, seventy-five spring times, seventy-five summers, and seventy-five autumns. When you look at it like that, it’s not a lot of time, is it? Don’t waste them. Get your head out of the rat race and forget about the superficial things that pre-occupy your existence and get back to what’s important now” Eddie Murphy
Are you stuck in the quicksand?
I think so.
Is there any lesson to avoid the rat race from the beginning?
Yes, my friend. There is one but I guarantee that you fail on this.
“I am in competition with no one. I run my own race. I have no desire to play the game of being better than anyone. I just aim to improve, to be better than I was before. That’s me, and I’m free” Unknown
My sincere thanks for reaching this point.
Huh ! I am exhausted in the rat race.
Let me have some supplements !
Thank you for your visit.
Take care, my friend.
Philosophy Through Photography
You can check my other similar posts HERE