Indian

‘Public art is encompasses any form of art you see in a public place, large or small, statues, murals, graffiti, gardens, parks, etc. The art should be visible from streets, sidewalks or outdoor public places’. PPAC

Indian Culture

“The role of the arts in creating a conducive ambience for the spiritual pursuit has always been central in this culture. It is not accidental that the most powerfully consecrated temples were also vibrant centres of dance and music” Sadhguru

Who is the real Indian?

One can easily get confused about the usage of the term INDIAN

My understanding is the word ‘Indian’ refers to people from India.

I don’t understand the reason why Native Americans are referred to as Indians.

Do they call themselves Indians? I don’t know.

Further, I get confused as to why the word ‘Indian’ is used regarding people from Caribbean countries.

Or maybe Christopher Columbus wrongly thought he entered India!.

So who is the actual Indian?

No idea.

You can help me if you know more about this.

Indian Art

“Indian Art broadened my seeing, loosened the formal tightness I had learned in England’s schools. Its bigness and stark reality baffled my white man’s understanding… I had been schooled to see outsides only, not struggle to pierce”Β  Emily Carr, Canadian Artist (quotehd.com)

She was a controversial artist according to a few.

Everything one does or did or says can have supporters or opponents. That is the way of life.

Maybe readers from Canada can enrich us about her.

Art vs Music

“Art is how we decorate spaces. Music is how we decorate time” Sayings

Thank you for visiting my site and taking your time to read.

Take care, my friend.

Namaste πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

You can check my other similar posts HERE

Image by Β© PTP-2021 All Rights Reserved

This post is part of Cee Neuner’s PPAC #21 Photo challenge

17 comments for “Indian

1. November 9, 2021 at 8:12 pm

Mr Columbus is to blame here I suppose πŸ™‚

2. November 9, 2021 at 8:21 pm

I think it was because Christopher Columbus thought he had reached India.

3. November 9, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Very cool photo for this week’s public art. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

4. November 12, 2021 at 9:23 am

Interesting art and commentary. It’s interesting that the name Indian for Native Indians has stuck even though it was probably Columbus whose mistake produced the name. It is the legal name in much of South America as well as in the United States where the legal name of Native Americans is American Indians. Time will tell how the controversy will sort itself out. Meanwhile, great entry for PPAC this week. πŸ™‚

• November 12, 2021 at 12:10 pm

Thank you Marsha for your kind and encouraging words.
      I did not know that the ‘Native Americans’ are known as ‘American Indians’
      Now I wonder how the Indians from India who have settled in America are known as?
      Maybe ‘Indian Americans from India’?
      or maybe ‘East Indians'(similar to West Indians)
      or simply ‘Brownies’
      Always interesting to know how each immigrant of different countries addressed locally!

• November 12, 2021 at 9:38 pm

I was surprised to read that the term was used legally in several places including the United States. That may change, of course. I wonder how each tribe came up with its name. Have you seen the movie TeAta? It’s a true story about a storyteller and her influence in the 1930s in the US. I saw it on Netflix. It’s well worth viewing, if you haven’t seen it.

5. DIYwithkrish
    November 12, 2021 at 10:54 am

Your blog are amazing πŸ‘βœ¨πŸ˜
    Here’s mine pls like share and follow if possible πŸ’“

• November 14, 2021 at 9:35 am

Thank you my friend.
      To day I checked your blog.
      You are doing a fantastic job.
      Continue the same.
      All the best.
      Both your earlier comments were in my spam folder.
      The reason is that you inserted your URL.
      Akismet( A spam fighting software from WordPress) treats this as a spam.