Public Art

Cee Neuner says

“Public art encompasses any form of art you see in a public place, large or small, statues, murals, graffiti, gardens, parks, etc. The art should be visible from streets, sidewalks or outdoor public places”

Ornamental Sunburst

“Sometimes you’ll have to create your own Sunshine” Unknown

As I was watching this art, I noticed one of the Sunrays missing (at 1º clock position).

Probably sequelae of ‘wear and tear’?

“A lot of people worry about
the ‘ wear and tear ‘ on furnishings.
I feel it’s more a matter
of people treating the things that surround them
with respect” Albert Hadley

This post is part of Cee Neuner’s PPAC # 8 photo challenge

11 comments for “Public Art

1. Amy
    August 8, 2021 at 8:02 pm

That is a cool public art! Cheerful and beautifully made!

2. August 8, 2021 at 9:24 pm

I so agree with you. We do have to create our own sunshine. Brilliant art work and reminder 😀

3. August 13, 2021 at 7:41 pm

I did not even notice the missing piece at first, the art is still so perky and happy. Public art probably needs a budget from somewhere to make repairs. Respect is important, but with children, like the Velveteen Rabbit, sometimes accessible things can get a bit too much love. I hope that’s the case here. I love the photo.

• August 13, 2021 at 8:28 pm

I agree Marsha.
      These art objects need both love and respect.
      Of course everything boils down to budget
      Thank you so much.

• August 14, 2021 at 7:26 am

Yes, they do need love and respect. I agree 100 percent. I wonder if delayed maintenance of public art might contribute to that? My husband fixed the sink at the church this weekend. As he got into it one thing led to another and he ended up with a huge we mess under the sink, some corroded pipes and missing parts. The respectful thing to do would have been to repair it as soon as it started leaking.

I think the same thing must be true of public art as well as public works. Vandelism is one thing, and I hate that someone would destroy the art of another just for the sake of being mean. And that happens more than it should. But as our society ages, I wonder what steps each community takes to preserve the work – especially after the artist is gone. It’s a great topic you’ve raised.

• August 14, 2021 at 3:48 pm

Every sentence you wrote is so wonderful.

Whenever we try to repair something…something much bigger problem is discovered.

No surprise the phrase ‘ A stich in time saves nine’ fits well in these situations.

One should never procrastinate.

Regarding vandalism- it is born out of hatred.

And nothing can be done since it’s part of human life.

Thank you Marsha.