Do you intend to visit India, in the future, my friend?
As you start your world tour, I am confident that you will include India, the most happening country… from anything to everything,.
And you must visit Jaipur, the capital of the state of Rajasthan, in western India.
Jaipur is popularly known as ‘Pink City’
During the rule of Sawai Ramsingh, the city was painted pink, to welcome HRH King Edward VII and every building within the walled historic centre was painted a terracotta pink colour.
Historically the colour is said to represent welcoming and hospitality.
The city is a photographer’s paradise!
Some of the popular pink monuments include Albert Hall Museum, Hawa Mahal, city place, Amer fort and Galta Ji temple.
The photo above is that of Hawa Mahal.
The building somewhat resembles a honeycomb and was constructed in the year 1799.
It has 5 floors and pyramidal in appearance.
Some interesting facts about Hawa Mahal
- There is no front entrance. One has to enter from the side of the city palace.
- The beauty of the building is in the number of windows. It has 953 small open windows, angled such that the breeze can easily enter the other side. Hence known by the name Hawa Mahal (Named after 5th floor) and in English translation- Palace of Winds or the palace of breeze. So, the windows serve two purposes.1. The royal ladies can see the procession in the street below without being noticed. 2.The windows allow the breeze to flow through and keep the palace cool.
- Hawa Mahal is in the shape of a Crown. (Lord Krishna’s crown)
- You will be surprised to know that the building has no foundation! And it’s the tallest building in the world without a foundation.
- Though the building has 5 floors….and strangely that there are no stairs. Only ramps to go up.
- The building was never meant to stay.
- The height of the palace is 50 feet (15 m)
- It’s built at an 87º angle
Image by © PTP-2021 All Rights Reserved