Antimacassar

web-

What is that you notice in the above photograph?

Of course, you realised that it’s a live TV programme and so many TV Mikes in front of the person…This person must be a VIP on that occasion and people at large must be eagerly waiting to listen to every sentence he is going to speak.

Apart from the person and various TV channel mikes, what else did you notice?

Did you ever hear the word-Antimacassar?

It’s a piece of cloth put over the back of a chair to protect it from grease and dirt or as an ornament.

By now you have noticed the light brownish turkey towel covering part of the chair, being used by this person.

Yes my friend, This is the saga of, ‘Towel on the chair back’

How commonly it is used?

• I am aware of this kind of cloth pieces being used on the airline chairs.
  • I have also noticed the same in the corporate functions or inaugurations where guest chairs are covered with a clean towel.
  • Other than this, I come across such practices in politicians and bureaucrat offices in India regularly.

In India the reasons given are many

I don’t know of any protocol existing in India about the usage of turkey towel on the chairs.

✔India is a hot country😎😃

The Back of the person sweats heavily and the sweat gets absorbed in the chair upholstery and the backrest side and gradually it starts smelling and stinking. Placing a towel absorbs sweat and the towel can easily be washed regularly.

✔Some say it’s the legacy, left by the British Raj.

✔Some say the towel is a symbol of power.

✔Strangely these towels are never used to wipe your face or hands! I don’t know the reason.

✔Simply put, the practice is prevalent because either the chairs are dirty or the towels can at least hide the stains.

Whether this habit is popular in other countries…I don’t know.

Are you aware of ‘Towel Day’?

Yes, my friend. There is one such day celebrated on May 25 every year, another 3 days to go. Acknowledge the importance of the towel.

Which is correct?

“I don’t wash the towel. The towel washes me”   Nick Miller

Take home message

Don’t panic and carry a towel!

(Tribute to Douglas Adams)

This post is part of THE RAGTAG DAILY PROMPT- Antimacassar photo challenge

19 comments for “Antimacassar

1. May 22, 2021 at 4:35 pm

Interesting. I have not seen any such things in practice around HKG. The table and chairs get sanitized daily in offices. Airlines use tissue based head rest all over and after every trip completion this will be changed in all prime carriers. I am not sure on economic flights for sure. Now on i will observe where else this practice is there and inform you if i find any such.

• May 22, 2021 at 5:45 pm

Thank you my friend for your detailed analysis.
      Glad that airlines taking proper precautions.

I am only wondering about Indian Style.

Interesting to note that it’s not practiced in other places

• May 22, 2021 at 6:26 pm

Most welcome. Let me observe and let you know. Many times i complained airlines staff on stinky head rest sheets. But many times they dont care for sure. Its the practice with economy carriers. They attend when some one complaine about it.

Wish you a safe healthy weekend.

• May 22, 2021 at 6:31 pm

Yeah
          I understand.
          Airlines attend to our complaint only when we go on pestering.
          This is the case in most of the other fields also.
          If you complain you automatically become a villain in their eyes.
          Better to be a hero than a villain😃😃😃

• May 22, 2021 at 6:33 pm

Hahhah so true. But i cant keep silent for sure. I have paid for a service and need a clean seat for sure. Its amazingly fun to read your comments. I like it the most. Cheers.

• May 22, 2021 at 7:10 pm

Well said my friend.
              Airline staff forget that their salary is paid because we travel.
              Instead they treat us as a pest…..when you insist on your reasonable demands and expectations.
              Hmm…we are helpless in every sphere my friend.
              In India…..we famously tell each other….just adjust for the time being and keep quiet!

• May 22, 2021 at 7:29 pm

Here we dont adjust we demand and justify for what we paid for thats why airlines like Cathy and Sing airlines remains one if the best along with emirates. Low cost carriers like hkg air also give the best hygeine environment inflight. As long as we adjust we suffer. If we keep quiet we get the worst. So we must nominally expect the best if we demand.

• May 23, 2021 at 7:26 am

That is a very strong statement.
                  Yes.Service provider should be customer friendly and do their best to comfort the customer.
                  Unfortunately monopoly gives a different experience all together.
                  Thank you Victor for the detailed analysis

• May 23, 2021 at 8:40 am

Thank you, nothing wrong in showing the errors and mistakes, its part of life to live in best circles and every one have that option, only thing is how politely we justify and make them realize they are at wrong side, that’s for the conversation and i love to read your responses always. happy Sunday and greetings for a safe healthy day.

• May 23, 2021 at 8:55 am

Thankyou my friend.
                      I only wish there are people who are willing to lend their ears.
                      Everybody talks of rule an regulations and no doubt experts in expressing lip service.
                      Always a pleasure to talk to you.

Magandang araw!

• May 23, 2021 at 9:01 am

I love to listen and express. Listening is the most powerful thing than speaking unwanted things. Discussing and sharing is a mutual way of benefitting to the betterment of ourself. Any errors can be always rectified. Thank you being outspoken always. I love such things. Cheers. Happy Sunday.

• May 23, 2021 at 9:03 am

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• May 23, 2021 at 10:12 am

🌹🌷

2. May 22, 2021 at 4:52 pm

Fabulous explanation of Indian history. Thanks for joining in 🙂 🙂

3. May 25, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Happy Towel Day, fellow towel crier! Can I perchance interest you in my Towel Day trivia quiz?