Size comparison of objects

Comparison of sizes reminded me how insignificant we are in the universe, yet we are full of ‘ego’ and try to dominate everyone!

Do we matter in the Universe?

My dear friend, we are just a blip (less than a trillionth of a second) in the Cosmos.

Yes. We are insignificant in the grand scheme of the Universe.

“The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies. We are so insignificant that I can’t believe the whole universe exists for our benefit. That would be like saying that you would disappear if I closed my eyes.”  Stephen Hawking

Realize how insignificant we are! Check this video

Can’t we be humble?

“Being humble means recognizing that we are not on Earth to see how important we can become, but to see how much difference we can make in the lives of others” Gordon B Hinckley

This post is part of Cee Neuner’s CFFC-SIZE COMPARISON OF OBJECTS Photo Challenge

17 comments for “Size comparison of objects

1. April 10, 2021 at 5:06 pm

I don’t really see myself as very important at all, but I hate that we do have a tendency to compare ourselves with each other often… because its like we are all just blades of green grass … and in nature things work better when they work together… not against one another…

2. April 10, 2021 at 5:57 pm

I’ll push back on that:

The version you advocate here is along what we might call a “smooth scale” of variance. This scale is a manner by which to view and associate things. Yes. But it is one manner.

It seems like is is common, or foundational to the universe, However, when we really begin to notice ourselves in the universe and how indeed the universe acts or behaviors within itself, how objects behave with reference to one another, we find that there is a scale variance between objects and not a smooth scale. Indeed, we are able, we are capable, of viewing things from top to bottom, big to small, microscopic to macroscopic, along with some of the scale, but when we really look at the universe, like I said, things didn’t really occur that way.

One great example is that gravity, that we think of it as a universal constant that has to do with mass, the structure of things do not conform to a smooth scale with reference to gravity. For example, the structure of functioning bodies. The smooth scale only works within certain limits. But when we get down to say insect levels, or even cellular levels, that’s smooth scale stops being consistent. We find that different things behave with reference to gravity differently structurally, conform to different rules about how it’s supposed to be put together or how it’s supposed to behave.

I think the idea that myself, are human beings, aren’t insignificant speck in the universe, is really arguing a certain kind of project. A certain kind of agenda about how I’m supposed to view myself, and not necessarily how I actually am.

3. April 10, 2021 at 8:55 pm

We are about as significant as an ant!

4. April 10, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Gorgeous photo. I like the video you found too 😀 😀

5. April 11, 2021 at 9:36 pm

Ancient sages encourage us to believe that the world was created for each one of us. We are not insignificant because we have our mission in the world and for the world, and we must be active and productive to benefit the world and all its creatures. We must also be humble and not forget that we did not create ourselves – the Higher Power did, and we thank Him every day, several times a day, for creating us and giving us the opportunity to better the world.

• April 12, 2021 at 10:07 am

Great wisdom from you Dolly.

I was just comparing ourselves to Universe and feeling how insignificant we are in God’s scheme of things.

Bettering the world is the most important motive for any human being, but sadly majority lack this due to inner contradictions and confusions.

That is why I ended my post with Gordon B Hinckley’s quote.

As always it’s a pleasure talking to you, and every time (I am proud to say) I learn new things from you.

• April 13, 2021 at 1:47 am

And that is where Judaism differes from other world views: we don’t feel insignificant in G-d’s scheme of things; on the contrary, we believe that He created the universe and everything in it for us. In other words, each human being is a
        pinnacle in his or her own right.
        it is always a pleasure to read your posts, dear Philo; they provide food for thought.