What do you mean by ‘A Good life’?

“The purpose of our lives is to be happy”  Dalai Lama

What does a good life consist of?

Is this having lots of money? or owning what you wish for?

Everybody wants and wishes to lead a good life.

What does the good life mean to you?

I am sure none wants a ‘bad’ life.

Is this a life with good moral values? or the life with pleasurable experience?

Older generation links ‘good life’ with moral values

“Good habits formed at youth make all the difference”  Aristotle

My guess is most of the time we interrelate moral values to a good life.

Of course one is not in a shortage of words to express moral values like being kind, generous, honest, selfless, helpful, compassionate, principled, being aware of good health and being reliable. The list is too long.

The younger generation feels life has meaning if only when one undergoes ‘The pleasures’ available on the Earth

I am not generalising here.

I am only stating that experiencing these kinds of pleasures can start from the school days.

Examples can be sex, alcohol, drugs of abuse and other sensory pleasures.

Again I am stressing that ‘Pleasurable life’ can have a different meaning to different people.

“It is a real art to combine different types of pleasure and create a super pleasure, like reading a nice book inside a hot bathtub in an open-air while the sun is setting!”
Mehmet Murat ildan

One can get pleasure at the same time maintaining moral values.

Trios for a good life

My thoughts

✔Peace of mind

✔Good health

✔A happy network (with moral values) of family & friends.

One can add ‘Laughter’ as a bonus.

( My good friend Chris,creator of Mr. Ohh!’s Sideways View  knows that by now, that I don’t forget to mention ‘Laughter’ )

Please share your thoughts on what constitutes ‘ A good life’?

This post is part of Mama Cormiers- Thursday Trios Photo Challenge   and also part of Cee Neuner’s  FOTD photo challenge

37 comments for “What do you mean by ‘A Good life’?

1. March 3, 2021 at 3:07 pm

I think that different generations definitely view the question differently. Older generations tend to look outward thinking “how should I live to BE good” it’s a morality stance. Younger generations tend to look inward thinking “what do I need to do in order to be/feel good myself”. This is a pleasure stance. Epicurus combined both with his simple life and philosophy in his “garden”.

• March 3, 2021 at 3:31 pm

Thank you Dr.B.
      Now I am able to really understand the meaning of good life, in terms of outward thinking and inward thinking.
      Great insight for me!

One can see the real garden if one avoids overindulgence.
      Correct me if I am digressing.

2. March 3, 2021 at 3:27 pm

I would suggest that the reason why the younger generation experiences pleasures through alcohol, drugs, is because the generation before taught them this. Through my argument with the middle aged TERFs I have seen quiet a few say that instead of being trans, kids should try hard drugs and random sex instead. Then they may not be so “unhappy”.

3. DiosRaw
    March 3, 2021 at 5:09 pm

A path in pursuit of truth.♥️

4. March 3, 2021 at 10:07 pm

Good health and a sense of humour go a long way!

5. March 3, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Beautiful thoughts over there…

Too much of everything can be bad, for example; too much pleasure can be fatal, physically, mentally and emotionally.
    From my personal point of view, A good life is when one is content with what they have, it be materially or emotionally.

6. March 3, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Great use of selective coloring on this lantana 😀

7. March 4, 2021 at 1:30 am

I love your trio of those lovely little flowers and I agree with your Trios for a Good Life. I feel that Peace of Mind comes with good health and a network of family and friends, so laughter is always in my top three. My motto is Love, Laugh, Live (Learn).

8. March 4, 2021 at 2:39 am

The good life is found in simplicity. Teens seek more and therefore less simple. To me there is one meter for the good life and you mentioned it. Laughter. If you can laugh every day, you are living a good life.

Laughter is contagious. Start a pandemic

9. March 4, 2021 at 12:03 pm

I enjoyed reading this! I thought about this in a slightly different context today. I asked myself, what gives me confidence? And the answer is aligning with my moral values, staying true to myself, and being kind. I suppose those answers would also be part of my answer to living a good life! Although, I would also add in nature and living life in the present moment (not worrying so much)!

10. March 4, 2021 at 1:43 pm

I absolutely agree with you on the trios for good life….like seriously, what more does one need?

11. March 6, 2021 at 10:45 pm

A life satisfied with more of happy souls around, than mere materialistic rich humans, is a ‘Happy Life’ for me..!!! A nice post, yet again..!! 🙏🏻😇

• March 7, 2021 at 7:59 am

Thank you so much ,’the typewriter’…my apologies ,I don’t know what name to address you,
      I fully agree with your observation that happy life is a situation sorrounded by happy souls.
      But in real life it’s just impossible and our unhappiness stays with us.
      That is the truth.
      We all try our best, and contentment elludes all of us all the time!
      Can you suggest a permanent solution ?

• March 7, 2021 at 8:05 am

Yes, permanent solution is certainly there on which many of us are working. That’s quite a tough job.. and that is detachment.. Doing our duties, without expectations.. I myself am working on it and failing everytime.. Lol.. 🙈😄

• March 7, 2021 at 8:12 am

Thanks once again.
          So one must continue to work to achieve that single goal.
          My guess is by that time we come to end of our life.
          Oh! Life…our dear life….you are never tired of testing our endurance.
          God bless you.

Thank you my friend for your valuable input.
          Appreciate.
          Have a great Sunday.

• March 7, 2021 at 8:28 am

Yes, absolutely.. Life, and its all time tests.. Actually, when we near the end of our life, we get to see the real colours of our ‘near and dear ones’.. That’s the time we really get disheartened and lose all types of expectations from anyone around.. Get to know what’s life, the real one. That’s the real moment when we just smile to all and silently pave our way towards real happiness. So, for the time being, no need to think of that.. We’ve to enjoy the sunday today and each day by just going with the flow.. My cents though..!! Thanks for your wonderful insights too.. Good day, good life..!! 🙏🏻😇

12. March 8, 2021 at 10:19 am

personally for me productivity is also a key component to a ‘good life’ but i agree with your other points ! i also think that one reason the ‘younger generation’ is generalized into this category of partying or whatever is because of peer pressure or as a coping mechanism, and i do think it’s hard to stay oriented through the chaos, but once you get through the funk you’ll be glad you didn’t give in !

• March 8, 2021 at 11:31 am

Thank you Poorvi Kumar for your lovely thoughts.
      Agree your views on younger generation and the peer pressure.
      The problem with these pleasurable things is…it’s temporary and one is back to peer pressure!
      Life is nothing but ‘pressure’ from all corners.
      How one succumbs to it or pull through, is a million dollar question.
      It’s my pleasure talking to you.

13. March 14, 2021 at 6:00 pm

I stumbled upon this post by chance. What a delightful find. 🙂 A “good life” is embarking on the journey to find one’s true self, with courage and intent and love.

• March 14, 2021 at 6:08 pm

Well said J.D.
      One must must be lucky to have a mind set to appreciate the true self and start the journey with ego playing no role.
      Thank you so much for dropping by and commenting.
      Appreciate my friend