World Philosophy Day November,19,2020

“Wear your ego like a loose-fitting garment” Buddha

This day is celebrated every year on the third Thursday in November. Celebration of this day is supported by UNESCO, which initiated it in 2002.

What is philosophy?

Philosophy derives from Two Greek words, Philos (love) & Sophia(wisdom).

Simply put it- Love of Wisdom.

Philosophy sheds light on the causes of various situations happening in this world and when you start asking questions in the form of ‘Why’…. remember, you start thinking like a philosopher

In other words philosophy is nothing but knowledge seeking.Questioning oneself and others.

“Worthless people live only to eat & drink.People of worth eat and drink only to live”  Socrates

Why people have a general opinion that ‘Philosophy’ is a boring subject?

After all in life, anything can be boring…..is it not so?

Why not Love of Wisdom? It too can be boring when you have different interests. But remember……

“If you are bored, you have not been looking at life closely enough”  Leo Babauta

Philosophy is nothing but the flow of thoughts. And if you think the flow of thoughts boring……then none can help you, since your thoughts can be as boring as you are!

Maybe people don’t believe in reality or are not interested in pursuing the truth, they are not to be blamed, since everybody is busy in their way.

I shall put it in a much simpler way.No body has got time.

Someone coined the term ‘Evasion of Reality’

In the modern world subject of philosophy is limited to scholarships.

Why philosophy is important?

“No man’s knowledge here can go beyond his experience” John Locke

Somewhere I read ‘Philosophy is the science of sciences’

Knowledge of philosophy helps us in critical thinking.

Philosophy can be applied in any of the fields.

Take home message

“Science is what you know. Philosophy is what you don’t know”. Bertrand Russell

Wishing the readers a happy philosophy day.

Namaste🙏🙏🙏

Photo by Rusiru Bhagya from Pexels

17 comments for “World Philosophy Day November,19,2020

1. November 19, 2020 at 7:59 pm

That love of wisdom is clear with the Doctor of Philosophy being the highest degree in many fields of study.

2. November 21, 2020 at 4:28 am

Love of wisdom? I didn’t know that Happy Philosophy Day

Keep Laughing though

• November 21, 2020 at 9:45 am

Yeah….. Love and Wisdom ….do they get along? hmm….. Love of wisdom.
      There is an interesting quote by Samuel Johnson
      “Love is the wisdom of the fool and folly of the wise”
      Thank you my friend.
      😀😀😀

3. November 28, 2020 at 11:31 pm

Philosophy is for the brave.

4. November 30, 2020 at 6:27 am

Philosophy is so interesting, I don’t see how someone can find it boring

• November 30, 2020 at 5:32 pm

Majority told me that they run away if somebody talks of philosophy!
      I always used to wonder and think that it must be a boring subject.I am not a philosopher but I love the concept of philosophy.
      To be frank, when I started this blog,I was so sure that none will read my posts.But I was wrong.
      I think there are many non philosophers interested in the philosophical thoughts.
      But still I feel majority of world population, not much into the real philosophy.
      Thank you Elena & Lily for your kind and encouraging words.Appreciate.

5. December 23, 2020 at 7:05 am

Beautiful!

6. December 30, 2020 at 6:02 am

I love philosophy! I love to have a deep conversation about such things. But they are barely anyone i know who is interested. And if someone is philosophical like me then others just call them boring. So basically what you said is very much true

7. December 30, 2020 at 6:04 am

By the way, if you don’t mind. I would like to take some of your words and post it on insta?