What is Social Stigma ?
It’s a long definition my friend.
According to Definitions.net (Freebase )
Social stigma is the extreme disapproval of a person or group on socially characteristic grounds that are perceived, and serve to distinguish them, from other members of a society.
Stigma may then be affixed to such a person, by the greater society, who differs from their cultural norms. Social stigma can result from the perception of mental illness, physical disabilities, diseases such as leprosy, illegitimacy, sexual orientation, gender identity, skin tone, education, nationality, ethnicity, religion or criminality. Attributes associated with social stigma often vary depending on the geopolitical and corresponding sociopolitical contexts employed by society, in different parts of the world.
10 Stigmatized health disorders
The primary source of the stigma comes from the fear of being infected.
Some of the health disorders I remember
- Mental illness
- Substance of abuse
- Swine flu
- Impotency & Barrenness
Now you can add Corona Virus infection
In the present state of affairs,corona pandemic causing greater harm ! (11 sad situations )
Yes.Social stigma is happening because of the fear of the ‘unknown‘
- you can see this every where.Stigma & discrimination reaching its peak.
- Stigma is viciously directed at the infected persons,their relatives and friends.
- Racial attacks
- Name calling of-Covid suspects
- In many localities,resident associations are ostracizing the airline crew,barring the entry of medical professional & other health related workers into the the resident premises.
- Even police personnel were obstructed from discharging their duties.
- People who were isolated were stamped for the safety of the rest of the society further adding to the agony,even after the quarantine period is over.
- News of people committing suicide because of the corona stigma,causing shock waves.
- Medical ambulances are being attacked for the fear of spreading the virus’
- Have you heard of communal distancing ? Those who became covid- free and got discharged from hospitals are facing ‘communal distancing’.
- Those died of Corona virus are not allowed a decent burial or cremation,fearing that the dead bodies spread virus in the vicinity where the crematorium is situated.
What can be done at this stage ?
Some of my thoughts.
- Don’t reveal the identity of corona virus sufferers.
- Not to stigmatize people who are in quarantine.
- Educating the community about the virus pandemic properly and the ways how virus can spread.
- Avoid assuming or presuming things because so and so belongs to a particular race/religion.
- Taking help from social media, send supportive messages instead of fear mongering news.
- Support the community by maintaining social distance.
- Better understanding of the infection & strictly follow the health advisory.
Dear friends please share your thoughts how best to stop this stigma psychology.
Thank you. Namaste 🙏🙏🙏
Philosophy Through Photography